Property hosted by Patrick Carl
WE ARE AVAILABLE FOR YOUR STAY IN NORTH CAROLINA
Located five blocks from the Pasquotank River waterfront, the Grice-Fearing House is the oldest residence in Elizabeth City and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in 1798 by Francis Grice, a mercantile store owner who came to Elizabeth City from Pennsylvania. At the time, it was a single-pile, two-story frame house – that is, it was just one room deep on both floors. When Grice died in 1808, the house was willed to his widow, who eventually married Isaiah Fearing, a successful merchant. The property remained in the Fearing family for more than 160 years.
The place adapted to accommodate growing needs as it passed from one generation to another. In 1840, a smaller house located on a neighbouring property was rolled over on logs and attached to the Fearing home, adding a new southern wing. The northern wing was built in 1885. A 1948 fire resulted in some structural loss, but bits and pieces of the home’s original craftsmanship have managed to survive decades of mending and modifications. The original front exterior of the house is basically intact, retaining its nine-over-nine sash windows and door. Many of the interior pine floors are 200 years old and run the length of the room, with each board sliced from one solid piece of wood. Inside the 30-foot foyer is the original dogleg, closed-stringer staircase with its diagonally turned balusters, raised panels and modest Federal surrounds. Today, the Grice-Fearing House is a welcoming port in this harbour town.
INTRODUCTION TO our Bed & breakfast
The Grice-Fearing House is a charming, historic home situated five blocks from the Elizabeth City waterfront, in the downtown historic district.
Originally constructed in 1798 by Francis Grice, the Blue Ruby at Grice-Fearing House Bed & Breakfast is the oldest residence in Elizabeth City and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1808, the house was willed to Grice’s widow, who eventually remarried Isaiah Fearing. The property remained in the Fearing family for more than 160 years.
The place adapted to accommodate growing needs, as it passed from one generation to another. A smaller house
located on a neighbouring property was rolled over on logs and coupled with the Fearing home in 1840, later adding a new southern wing and the northern wing in 1885. A fire in 1948 resulted in some structural loss. However, original craftsmanship has managed to survive decades of modifications and remains a welcoming port in this harbour town.